From 1 February to 28 February, it is Raynauds Awareness Month.
What is it?
- Raynauds is a colour change of the fingertips. from white to blue to red with associated severe pain
- The attacks can vary in frequency and duration
- In severe cases there can be ulceration and gangrene of the fingertips
- It affects 3-5% of the population with a high predominance in women
- It is a condition that can affect up to 10 million people in the UK
The triggers include:
- Emotional stress
- Oestrogen exposure
First line of treatment:
- Avoiding stress
- Hand and leg warmers
- Avoiding cold environments
- Avoiding rapid changes in temperature
While Osteopathic care cannot treat and/or resolve Raynaud’s, it may provide some comfort and support to those suffering.
For more information about our services contact us at Backstobasics Osteopathy on 01923 710424.
This is why we aim to be the best Osteopaths in Hertfordshire.
by Anita Singadia, Osteopath & Sports Massage Therapist