With the end of summer holidays and the start of a new school year, September is a busy time of year for the children. It is time to get back into a routine.
Below are a few tips on how to make that transition as easy as possible. One simple solution is choosing the correct backpack:
- Choose a lightweight material with the shoulder straps having enough padding;
- Ensure the backpack has multiple sections to allow the weight to be evenly distributed;
- Try to have a waist strap as this can take some of the weight of the back and shoulders;
- Avoid carrying the backpack on one shoulder and encourage children to wear the backpack on both shoulders to avoid straining the back and affecting the spinal curves in the back and irritation of the joints;
- Try to put heavy items at the bottom of the bag as that is closest to the spine;
- The weight of a backpack should be 15% of your child’s body weight- if a child is leaning forward when walking with a backpack it is too heavy;
- Try to clear out any papers that are not needed to avoid excess weight being added;
- Make use of the lockers by carrying books that are only necessary.
Just some of the simple changes above can stop your child from developing back, neck or shoulder pain. If you or your children are suffering from any physical ailment and don’t know what to do, get in touch to see if we can help. Do not let pain stop you or your family from living your best life ever.
We care about our patients; this is why we aim to be the best Osteopaths in Hertfordshire, West London and its surrounding areas including Ruislip, Northwood, Harefield, Harrow, Uxbridge and Gerrards Cross.
By Anita Singadia, Osteopath and Sports Massage Therapist